Our group at the Rally Leaders Prep Session (1/29/2013)
Last week, 14 people went with John Eager Howard and No Boundaries Coalition to Baltimore Education Coalition (BEC)'s Rally Leaders Prep Session. We heard the latest updates on the facilities campaign and learned about our strategy for the state legislative session.
What is the facilities campaign and why is it important for Reservoir Hill?
- Baltimore Education Coalition is working on a financing plan to leverage State and City dollars to $2.4 billion for school facility upgrades. The first step of this plan requires passing the "block grant bill" in Annapolis.
- Over the next 10 years, JEH is estimated to need over $14 million in facilities repairs. Without the proposed financing plan, these repairs will not be possible.
- If the block grant bill passes, John Eager Howard is slated for a full renovation or replacement as soon as 2014-2015.
What can we do to help pass the block grant bill?
- Come to the February 5th Reservoir Hill community meeting: 6pm at the Rec Center, dinner provided. We'll discuss the plan in more depth and talk about the neighborhood's involvement in the campaign.
- Come canvass with us on February 11th: meet at 3pm at John Eager Howard, canvass from 3:30-5, and debrief at the Rec Center after. We want to be sure as many people know about the plan and ways to get involved as possible!
- Come with us on February 25th to the Rally in Annapolis. In order to demonstrate Baltimore's commitment to the plan, the BEC is working to turnout 3000 parents, teachers, students, community members for this rally. John Eager Howard is working to fill 2 buses-- will you get on the bus with us?
Contact Erin Bowman, email@example.com or 410-225-7547, to get involved and save your seat on the bus!